Weather Complications Make Teaching Challenging in Week Two

 The Journey of Student Teaching: Day Ten

Second Week Reflections: When Weather Changes Your Plans

Essential Questions for this Week:

  • What did you learn this week while student teaching?


This week of student teaching was certainly interesting. Originally I was suppose to begin teaching Tuesday. Like a good student teacher I tried to get prepared for a weeks worth of lessons by having everything ready and all I would have to do is print out some papers, get all of the materials gathered up, and teach my first lesson. Then the principal gets on the speakers and announces an early dismissal with both of my classes not happening today. So my first class got bumped back one day. Then Wednesday Morning the school announced a district wide snow day. So again my lessons got pushed back to Thursday. So Thursday I was teaching no ifs, ands, or buts.



Teaching on Thursday and Friday here are the notes I took:


I need to practice pacing, and recognizing how long it will take students to actually complete things such as writing down notes. Also how long an activity/objective may take can be tough as well.  I think with this I just need to keep on working on it.

Also I got to learn to work with the changes in the schedule as well.  For example I have to be willing to take a second breath look at my plans and adjust.  For example with the number of days going from 4 to 3 in Food Science I got worried a hair with my activities and if they would work in 3 days or is it ok that I adjust to 3 days.  Even though my students won't know these things for food science and ag construction but for me, I need to remind myself "to keep calm and teach on"

Next week I'll teach four different classes which I'm excited to do more than just sit in a classroom. I think next week I'll have to work on being able to get more stuff done in less time.

To Be Continued . . .

Comments

  1. George, it's good that your learning how to adapt with schedule changes right from the beginning, as they are an unpleasant, but common, part of the reality of teaching. To help you determine what to cover when you lose time, you can highlight or make notes of the critically important components of that day's lesson plan, so you know what you need to cover versus what you want to cover. You shared a lot of what you want to improve on, but can you share some gems from this week as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,

      Honestly with this week being like it was I can't say I had a lot of chances teaching. I'm getting to see that my students want to learn what they are learning in my classes though which I think will be exciting as well. I think with week three teaching 4 periods will give me more to talk about and what I think about curriculum.

      Delete
  2. Schedule changes and weather outages always throw things out of round. Roll with the punches.

    I've always found getting the learning atmosphere back is the worst part. The material can be adjusted and modified, but everyone gets excited and lacks concentration when the snow is coming down in layers.

    Not as auspicious a beginning as you might've liked - but you'll work it out. Best thing is they will almost always let you come back and try again tomorrow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your crew has this handled.

    Every opportunity to plan ahead (and get supplies lined up ahead. Is vital!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Touring a Food Industry Plant

How do we utilize inquiry based learning in our classrooms?