See Me After Class: Final Summer Reflection

The End of the Summer . . . The Next Chapter 

This is the final reflective blog on the reading of the book See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers written by Roxanna Elden.  This has been a three part reflective blog on the readings of the novel over the summer.



The final part of this book tackles some topics that to me stress me out.  Being observed and getting critiqued. Giving out tests and what goes wrong when giving out tests. Grading assignments and the stress involved with procrastinating on grades.  When things don't go as planned and you make a fool of yourself in front of your students. Helping new teachers, and finally what to do better next year. A lot of this stresses me out and honestly for a good reason: I don't understand almost any of the lingo here in these chapters. A lot of the concepts being discussed in these pages are things we haven't discussed yet in our Ag Ed Curriculum.

Yes These Topics Stress Me Out

I'm Excited to Learn About These Topics This Fall

Literally as I was reading these chapters I thought: I don't know this but I will.  This part of the book was perfect timing to be excited for the school year.  This book has now made me ask myself questions that I want to learn but also have questions that I would love to hear great answers too.  Much of this book has been teachers not just giving advice but showing times where they messed up but still are teaching.  One of the best quotes is in the section on observations where a superintendent told a teacher that he/she is unfit to teach the curriculum and then two years later was asking her/him to teach the advance level curriculum. This made me realize that you can never truly prepare for an observation - instead you need to teach your best every day.

I also am starting to realize that student teaching is a place where you can make a mistake or two. It a place to realize that not everything that happens in a classroom is under your control (there are an additional 28 brains in the room after all). In fact it reminds me of a TED Talk I saw.  It was by Tyler DeWitt and he was talking about how he was teaching a lesson on Microbial Viruses and then realized that non of the students understood it.  So he changed the way he explained it to see what the students would think.  He had to make this change because what was originally planned didn't work. This is a possibility that I am going to have to face while student teaching. I'm going to have to be flexible in my lessons and be able to sit there and say, "That isn't working is it? Lets try it this way." 

I think this realization also stems from some of the projects I worked on this summer. Sometimes an idea came I tried it and I realized that either I was doing excessive work or I was doing extra work for no reason.  This made me realize that I needed to change my approach tomorrow.  One of my projects consisted of running a simple test. Three weeks into the project I realized that another department was doing the exact same thing - I decided to then just collaborate with the other department.  Now the same test wasn't being run twice on the same product - creating efficiencies through working with other departments.  

Teaching is very similar: A lesson doesn't go the correct way. You ask what do you do? Either you come up with the idea or someone else gives you the idea:

I am excited for this year ahead. I'm excited to learn about all of these things I don't yet fully know. I'm excited to begin developing some program/curriculum ideas based upon two DSA's, 1 FAST Symposium, and countless hours working with Super Star Teachers and Professors for the past four years of college.

So here's to another chapter in my story.

To Be Continued . . .





Comments

  1. George, Thanks for sharing!

    If you are ever "comfortable" when student teaching - you are not student teaching right :) it is a time for stretching and exploration! Leaving the comfort zone means growth, but it is uncomfortable.

    Content Tips:
    I would have REALLY loved to see a list of words, topics that you are unclear with!!

    Blogging Tips:
    1) When doing a series, don't be afraid to link to the related posts in the post.

    2) Be sure to push out to your Virtual Mentor Team via email as well as over your social media networks! Build your community!

    Can't wait to see you!

    df

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked to see your reflection in this. Year 19.5 starts for me next month and observations still make me nervous.
    I would have loved to see a link in your blog to Tyler Dewitt's TED Talk. Until last week, I don't know that I had heard the name Tyler Dewitt. However, I was taking a walk and listening to a TED Radio Hour episode called "Rethinking School" and he was one of the guests. http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/535044918/rethinking-school
    What exactly is a DSA? I probably know but the acronym isn't coming to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DSA stands for the Domestic study away that Penn State state has done during the summer for the last five years.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for being honest about the things that stress you out and the things you don't understand. I would have liked to see you link these things to specific parts/quotes from the book. Great job referencing the TED Talk, but I too wanted to see a link to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also forgot to add that your connections to your summer research were a great touch! Excellent job connecting those experiences to the ones you will have in the classroom!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, George. My favorite book on teaching:

    Teaching as if Life Matters
    https://jhupbooks.press.jhu.edu/content/teaching-if-life-matters

    Lots of food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weather Complications Make Teaching Challenging in Week Two

Individual Learning in a Room of Many Individuals